Monday, August 10, 2009

Even Better Than the Tooth Fairy

A whole new sort of fairy visited our house last week: The Pick-Up Fairy. And she rocks!

Never heard of her? Neither had I until I happened upon a recent issue of Parents magazine and read an article about her. Turns out, she's a special fairy who visits children's homes at night and helps them pick up any toys they may have just possibly, accidentally, just this once left lying about. Anything she picks up is hers for the time being.

Brilliant.

I left a little card from her in our mailbox for QB and Mopsy. The front had a nice little picture of a fairy wand and inside it explained that Miss Fairy might be stopping by our house at night just in case the two of them might need a little help on the clean-up front. They were enthralled.

"Who is the Pick-Up Fairy, Mom?" the asked, wide-eyed.

"Oh, I've heard of her. Is she coming to our house?"

Then the questions started coming rapid-fire: How will she get in? What will she do with our toys? What happens after that? What if we have some sort of complicated project on the floor that we don't want her to take?

I should've planned on this thorough vetting process from my 8-year-old. Instead, I winged it. She'd probably get into the house the same way Santa would. Any toys lying around, I suppose she'd take and return later. Projects on the floor? Well, we'll leave her a little note. I'm sure she'll understand.

That night, it was a miracle. The house has never been so clean. Jarvis and I watched in amazement as the two of them scurried around like little mice, gathering every stray Lego, every Lite Brite peg, every lone puzzle piece on the carpet in record time.

As I said, brilliant. Now, at night, instead of threatening, cajolling, nagging and negotiating -- all of which are largely ineffective -- all I have to do is say, "Pick-Up Fairy" and my kids jump into action. It's a thing of sheer beauty. It's taken the burden off me entirely. Now that the Fairy has entered our lives, the consequences of playroom sloppiness are out of my hands.

Other children who've been by our house and seen the card from Miss Fairy are equally fascinated. Who is this gal and why haven't they gotten a visit from her, they want to know. All I can say is, parents, dispatch the Fairy soonest. You won't be disappointed!

And to whoever wrote this inspiring article in Parents, you have my deepest, most sincere admiration and gratitude. I just wonder, now, if there's some way I can get it to work on my husband...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Brilliant,ingenious,clever and very very cunning - going to work that asap tomorrow!!!