Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Dancing with the Non-Stars

Ah, so much to catch up on. First and most importantly, Dancing with the Stars.

I was appalled when they announced the cast and Kate Gosselin was among them. She's not a celebrity, she's a train wreck who lets cameras film her train while it's crashing. And you can't get away from her these days. Every other week, she's on the cover of People or Us, "opening up" about her divorce, being on her own, her make-over.  I argue that it's impossible for  her to "open up" in a magazine interview, because she never shuts up.

She'll do anything for a little publicity and attention, even humiliating herself or putting her kids on public display. And we've been indulging her. Now, if this whiney, self-indulgent mom gets hair extensions, it's front page news. Enough with her! Then DWTS, which I love, goes and does it again, handing her an even bigger platform. Don't you see? It's like giving a kid who's throwing a tantrum an ice cream cone as a reward.

DWTS must have run out of C- and D-list unemployed celebrities to cast. I mean, who's next? The octomom? The balloon boy's dad, Richard Heene? How about the trashy tattooed girl who had an affair with Sandra Bullock's husband?

Except.

Now that she's on the show, I love it. I love the montages that show what a pain in the neck she is and how she's already pushed her good-natured partner, Tony, to the brink of quitting. I love how Bruno described her dancing as "Tony pushing a shopping cart around the floor." I love how she can't even bring herself to be sportsmanlike while listening to the judges' critiques. I love how horrible a dancer she is.

So now, I think I might even vote for her, for a while that is. She's the non-celebrity contestant I love to hate.

Go Kate.

No comments: