Thursday, May 14, 2009

Lucky Penny


Mopsy coined a new expression recently. Whenever she finds a penny on the ground, naturally, she snatches it up. But instead of calling it her "good luck penny," it's simply her "good luck." This translates roughly as, "I have my good luck in my pocket, today, Mom." I wish I could always feel as confident as she does.

This reminded me of another funny incident a few years ago. We took a trip to Palm Springs when QB was about 5 and Mopsy was a toddler. On the last morning of our weekend, we were eating brunch on the scenic patio of the resort, which was nestled up against the sun-baked mountains. QB sagely surveyed the scene, taking in the other guests among us. Suddenly he announced, "Mom, you and Dad are the luckiest grown-ups here." Why was that, I inquired? Maybe because we were so fortunate to spend the morning in such a beautiful part of the desert? 

Nope, that wasn't it. "You're the only two who have kids!" he pronounced. Indeed, he was correct. We were the only adults in the restaurant that morning with children in tow -- which automatically made us the luckiest. I was touched by the self-love reflected in his outlook, and the confidence he displayed about his place in our family, and in his world. 

If only we could all be that lucky.

No comments: