Friday, January 29, 2010

A Cat With Our Name on It

My weekly column on Westport Patch:


"The strangest, most unexpected and rather wonderful thing has happened: my family and I have fallen hard. For a cat.
It all started two weeks ago when I went to the Puppy Palooza pet adoption event organized by T.A.I.L.S. to write an article for Westport Patch. I brought my 5-year-old daughter with me, which probably wasn't my wisest tactical move ever, given that we weren't really in the market for a pet. There were about 100 dogs there, each one cuter and more friendly than the next, all eager for not much more than a warm place to sleep and a bowl of food. It was heart-breaking, all those innocent animals, lots of whom had been underfed or abused but who still had joyful spirits.
And then there was the cat room, where a pile of kittens tumbled and rolled around together. Man, those little balls of fluff were cute. My daughter tugged on my sleeve incessantly, "Please, Mom!" she wailed. "Can we take one home?" "



Read the rest at:
http://westport.patch.com/articles/a-cat-with-our-name-on-it

No comments: