Wednesday, October 14, 2009

Don't Try This at Home, Kids



This wasn't my most brilliant day in the kitchen. I was roasting a pork loin the other day, quite pleased that I'd picked out a recipe a day ahead rather than about an hour before dinner, the way I usually do. I even rubbed the roast with mustard and let it tenderize overnight. I was so on my game.

The next afternoon, I threw some brown sugar on top and popped it into a hot oven. To quote Mopsy: easy peasy lemon squeezy. An unencumbered afternoon stretched before me. I could read. Take a nap. Go for a long walk. The possibilities were endless.

At least they were until I smelled the smoke coming from the oven. Hmm. I had it on the right temperature, but the pan drippings were burning as they hit the glass dish. I had to do something or else the smoke detector system was sure to go off.

So I took a cup of water and poured it into the pan. Bad call. The dish exploded the second the water hit. (Too cold, I'm assuming?) Glass was probably not the best choice of bakeware. And this photo shows the porky disaster that ensued.

I had broken bits of glass stuck all over the oven and pan drippings adhered to the racks. By the time the oven cooled off enough to clean it up, a tar-like goo had melded glass shards to the bottom of the oven. In short, it was a complete disaster. I'd lost a pan, a roast, and decimated the oven all in once smooth move.

Oh, did I forget to I mention that the oven is self-cleaning? Well, I am still down a Pyrex.

As Padma would say on Top Chef, "It's time to pack my knives and go."

No comments: