Friday, October 9, 2009

Long Time, No Blog




I've realized there's a strange parallel between neglecting your blog for a while and forgetting to call your friends. The longer it goes on, the more you have to say, and the more reluctant you are to blog/call because it'll take just too much time to catch up. Better to wait for a leisurely afternoon when you have loads of time on your hands. Except, when does that ever happen?

So, anyway, that's my story. I've been a lousy friend.

First thing's first. QB and I finally took our flight to Montauk. (This would be the costly private plane ride that I foolishly bid on at a school silent auction, sure that I would be out-priced.) Jarv hemmed and hawed long enough about the plan -- not liking small planes one bit -- so I found myself a new travel companion. It was a good call. I just don't think Jarv's enthusiasm could have possibly rivaled that of our 8-year-old boy who loves all things that fly.

QB got to sit in the front and actually co-piloted. I thought Captain Bob was just bs-ing us on that. But he actually took his hands off the controls once we were in mid-air and left it to QB. Smart idea? Not so sure. I'm nervous about him manning rollerblades much less a Cessna. ButI lived to write about it.

It was a stunning day for flying and it seemed as if we could see all of Long Island Sound, clear over to the Hamptons. First we buzzed over our house where the whole neighborhood was outside for a yard sale and waved to us from the ground. Then we headed eastward, bumping along as we went. We popped over to Montauk in about 40 minutes, a trip that would have taken many hours by car and ferry. I've decided it's really a waste of time to drive anywhere when you can just zip around in a private plane.

There was just one problem: it was a little bumpy in the rear seat. About half-way through our flight my stomach started to turn and I realized Jarv was right about small planes. (I hate it when he's right.) Then I very discreetly tossed my cookies.

Aside from that, it was a perfect day. QB and I strolled around the town, shared a croissant and sat at a cafe playing a Mastermind tournament. Then we headed to the beach which was spectacular. The Sound is wonderful, but I'd forgotten how calming it is to sit and watch the crashing waves in the ocean. QB set about making a sand castle and, as usual, a new friend.

The plane ride was a highlight of the year, but it was even better to get to spend a whole day alone with my son: no agenda, no errands, no playdates. Just the two of us talking and playing. I hope he'll remember our day as long as I will.

No comments: