Friday, June 5, 2009

Maple-Brined Pork Chops

  • I made the most excellent pork chops last night. I never make pork chops. Don't even like them. Mom used to make them when I was a kid and my memory is of something hard, tough, and dry.

  • But this recipe from Epicurious is a great one. The pork came out incredibly moist and flavorful. Mopsy referred to it as steak. (Funny, since the four chops cost a total of $5.50) QB ate two. Thought I'd share my modified version of the recipe.

  • Brine:
  • 1/4 cup salt
  • 1/4 cup sugar
  • 1/2 cup Grade B maple syrup
  • 1 1/2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
  • 1 teaspoons hot red pepper flakes
  • 1 tablespoons juniper berries (I didn't use this as I have no idea what it is!)
  • 1/4 teaspoon whole cloves
  • 1/8 cup fresh rosemary, chopped
  • 1 tablespoons chopped fresh thyme
  • 6 garlic cloves, smashed
  • 1 tablespoons chopped fresh ginger

  • 4 cups water
  • 4 center-cut loin pork chops, 1 1/2 inches thick
  • Freshly ground black pepper
  • canola oil for grilling

Combine all brine ingredients in a pot, bring to a boil. Make sure all the sugar dissolves. Let cool. Place chops and brine in a non-reactive container and let sit for up to 12 hours. Remove chops and pat dry. (Don't rinse.)

To grill, season pork with pepper and brush with a little oil, if desired. Sear chops over a hot flame on each side. Reduce temperature and cook a few more minutes. 145-150 degrees will be pink and moist. 160 well done.

Epicurious suggests serving it with this Roasted Pear Chutney. I'm way too impatient for that, but have at it.

http://www.epicurious.com/recipes/food/views/Roasted-Pear-Chutney-106240

No comments: