Monday, June 1, 2009

An Ode to Groceries


Groceries, groceries

Oh, how you bore me.

 

Must I buy you all the time?

Must I wait in those check-out lines?

 

Apples, kiwi, cantaloup

Wheat bread, brown eggs, bars of soap…

 

Maple syrup, red potatoes

Avocados, ripe tomatoes.


Produce, yes, you’re on the right,

Coffee’s in the back, out of sight.

 

I know where you are. I’m here every day.

Okay, maybe not, but it feels that way.

 

Free-range birds? Grass-fed beef?

Oh, who cares. I could fall asleep.

 

Up one aisle, then down the other

Across the back, why do I bother?

 

We must eat, I’ve got kids, you say?

Who needs food? Let’s quit for a day.

 

We’ll skip dinner. Cereal’s fine.

How 'bout a pitcher of water with lime?

 

If it means no Trader Joe’s, I’m in.

The kids may end up a little thin.

 

Flour, catsup, green leaf tea

Noodles, crackers, runny brie.

 

Frozen shrimp, organic peas

Muffins with some blueberries.

 

Piled up, my cart's stacked high

The nosy checker says, oh my!

 

Lady, you’ve got a lot in there.

What do you think of our new bosc pears?

 

Bag it up, total the bill.

Come again? How much on the till?

 

Haul it out, bags in the trunk.

Schlep it home, I’d rather be drunk.

 

Kids come home and say, oh, gross.

Arugula? Turnips? Sprouted toast?

 

Where’s the ice cream, cookies, gum?

Didn’t you get our stuff, dear Mum?

 

No, I didn’t. Go play with Rover.

Five days later, it starts all over.

No comments: