Friday, April 24, 2009

The Sweetest Gift, Part II


I realized I never finished Part II my story about the sweetest gift from QB. ( see April 17 post) Little Mopsy, seeing my reaction to the little ring QB gave me, was not to be outdone. Sometime in February, I noticed a small, wrapped present hiding out behind the TV in my home office. I let it be, knowing it was probably some surprise cooked up by the kids. (The fact that they decided to "hide" it in my office was quite amusing.) But time went by, and no one claimed the present or gave it to anyone.

About a week before my birthday in March, Mopsy suddenly jumped up from whatever we were doing and said, apropos of nothing"I can't wait anymore!" Excitedly, she ran off and retrieved the package. Now that I got a good look at it, I saw that she had wrapped it very well with a small piece of wrapping paper she must have found. There was tape and everything. She'd used a jewelry box that had held a bracelet that past Christmas. She beamed as I opened it up.

As I'm sure you can guess, inside was another little gumball machine ring. This one, however, had a little pink stone.  I was equally as thrilled that Mopsy thought of the gesture, although maybe not quite as surprised as I was the first time. What amazed me was that she thought about this so far ahead of time, and went to the trouble of finding just the right box, wrapping it carefully and squirreling it away. That seemed like a lot of forethought for my 4-year old. It's always gratifying when your children start doing little things for other people that are entirely altruistic. I take it as a sign that everything's okay in the emotional development department.

That night, when I was tucking Mospy into bed, she seemed a little pensive. "Mommy," she said "promise not to laugh if I tell you something." Reluctantly, I agreed. Usually, when we make this deal, she comes up with something gut-busting funny.

Then she asked ever-so-sweetly, "Can I have my ring back?"

No comments: